Monday, July 7, 2014

Sewing for L: Chambray Shorts (and a tee)

Pattern: Oliver + S Sketchbook shorts
Fabric: Robert Kaufman Chambray (used here for a Nature Walk pullover), leftover cotton voile for welt pocket bag
Notions: interfacing, button, contrasting darker blue thread, 3/4" elastic
Size: 2T
Pattern: Oliver + S Schoolbus T-shirt
Fabric: Old t-shirt, leftover scrap of bicycle interlock for embellishment
Notions: clear elastic, coordinating thread, twin needle, interfacing
Size: 2T

More t-shirts (I made a total of three but I'm only showing one here...I'm sure the others will pop up in other posts) and a pair of chambray shorts for my little boy. It's quite warm now and I'm replacing L's long sleeved shirts and some too short t-shirts from last year with some better adapted warm weather apparel. Both of these garments were made at the very beginning of June so they have already gotten considerable wear.

I could not resist making something more with this lovely chambray. I had been planning to make a pair of shorts for him and looked into my pattern stash for a shorts pattern and came up with the Oliver + S Sketchbook Shorts pattern. Once I have access to a printer, I'll try the free Sunny Day shorts from Oliver + S.
I shortened the shorts considerably, otherwise they would have reached about halfway down his lowerleg. I also decided to try adding some double welt pockets. I think I'll probably go back in and add a button on each welt pocket to help them stay shut better. I'm going to continue playing with pocket variations in future pants/shorts projects for L since they're so fun to make. I'm thinking a little welt back pocket with a pocket flap held shut with a button.

The shorts were a breeze to put together and I love the little details such as the pleats on the front and stitching an extra line of stitching at the top of the waistband, as suggested in the pattern, has so far prevented the elastic from twisting. I checked the fit on my boy and hemmed accordingly to make sure I got a nice length which is around his knee.

The t-shirt was just as easy to put together as before. I saved the rib knit from the original t-shirt and applied it as it had been on the original by attaching it first to the wrong side and then folding it over to the front, making sure the raw edge was folded under and  then stitching it in place. I used clear elastic to stabilize the shoulders.

The embellishment was a little extra since L is crazy about bikes. In fact all three t-shirts have bikes on them and he really loves being able to ask for his "vĂ©lo" t-shirts. His vocabulary is increasing exponentially as is his use of two or more words together. Very exciting!

He was just learning a new word here: "shell"

No comments:

Post a Comment